Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts On The Next Album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eyesore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Thoughts On The Next Album Reply with quote

After seeing Charlotte in NY last Saturday, I can't help but once again miss the piano dominated sound of her earlier work. Don't get me wrong; I still love the stuff after On Your Shore, but I am a sucker for just a girl and a piano.

Since I imagine Charlotte writes most songs on the piano, would it not be cool if the next CD had a special edition, one that comes with a bonus CD of piano-vocal versions, even if they're warts-and-all takes?

I'd definitely pay extra for that.

http://www.eyesoretimes.com
jules101
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken, i would LOVE this. it would be the best of both worlds. i love when char goes a bit more electronic and all...but when i first saw her she was just on piano. and she grabbed me. and on this tour, it brought back a lot of memories of when i first saw char.

i do prefer her slightly 'amplified' but...i would love to have BOTH chars. lol so im all for her new album and then maybe another disc of the same songs but 'acoustified.' Smile the cure did that with their greatest hits collection!

maybe it could be a special edition release? i dunno. i think its a great idea...and more char mar is always good.
Eyesore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would definitely be a cool limited edition version, right?

Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2008 Susanne Sundfør had released a stripped down, acoustic version of her debut album. Just piano, guitar and vocals, with all songs recorded in one take, deriving the album title "Take One". I would love for Char to do something of that sort, an immediate mix of live and studio, instead of just acoustic versions.
freefall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*agrees with the idea of a double disc, one stripped down, and one fully kitted out*

I love Charlotte going back to basics with the piano and completely on her own, but over the years as her sound evolved, I've grown to appreciate the experimentation and different melodic styles of her works.

On Your Shore was a personal gift from Ruthie to me at a time when I was finding solace through her music, so I'm more emotionally connected to the album than her other works with the exception of Darkest Hour (again, also another personal gift from Ruthie), especially because of the lush arrangements, and lyrics that I could easily identify with.

With Stromata returning Charlotte to her indie roots, I understand the lack of strings and more electronic, synthesized vibe to the album, because those electronic sounds are something she can create off her keyboard and reproduce them live, while the strings found in On Your Shore can't be duplicated live without getting extra backing performers.

The various EPs and rarities in between offer a mix of the differing musical styles found in both LPs, and also offer insight on her past experimentation and a glimpse into future styles. So as much as I loved the days of Charlotte performing solo on the piano, she's always managed to balance being experimental and staying too 'safe'. She's (mostly) surpassed the whole singer-songwriter, girl with the piano, Tori comparisons people had of her, and I'm glad to see her earn her rightfully deserved recognition as a musician of her own right over the years.

So long as Charlotte continues to stay true to herself and write heartfelt and sometimes funny, witty lyrics and mix them with a thoughtful musical arrangement, I don't care what musical direction she takes. She could be a rock star or a jazz crooner, remain indie or get signed to a major label again, and I'd still continue to support her music.
LukeTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the full-blown multitrack percussion-oriented pieces like "The Dance." Of course, I love the solo acoustic pieces too -- even moreso after this last tour.

In her KGRL interview Charlotte says her new album will be "Definitely more stripped-down. Definitely more minimalistic...." So it sounds like she's already headed in that direction. Of course, if it's already "stripped down" would there be any need to make an alternate "super stripped down" version?
Jessie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piano Trees has really satisfied my want for her playing piano-only.. so whatever this next album is I will be happy. Very Happy
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the songs she's been performing live are any indication, this going to be an amazing charlotte martin record. she has grown so much in her songwriting and that is evident on songs like "volcano" and "sluts and bitches." honestly, i hope this album is more piano-based. i love her electronic stuff, but we've had that for both stromata & reproductions, it would be nice to have her go back to her roots for an album.

and depending on the production of the studio version, "tremble" may turn out to be her best song since every time it rains. that's right. i said it.
SkekTek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others. I loved the early Charlotte stuff, so the Mad Fast concert was special. Very special. I haven't seen a lot of concerts where folks go acoustic lately, so it made me very happy. I saw Liz Phair acoustic a year or so ago, and she also sounded very different and more intimate than her usual rocking show.

However, I'd love to hear her rock out with a live band again. She's done the electronic thing for several tours, so I'm rearing for some guitar, bass, etc. I've been listening to the Rarities again, and I have to say that the early version of Every Time it Rains is a smoking tune. That piano solo at the end of the bridge is especially powerful. Char is at her best when she's either very soft, or growling into the mic. I'm hoping for more of the latter on the next album, hopefully with a more organic and less synthetic sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eyesore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yigzat wrote:
Char is at her best when she's either very soft, or growling into the mic.

Like-a dis?

My favorite Charlotte pic. Transcendent.

Anticubital

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: http://www.kgrl.fm/fpa/charlottemartin.php Reply with quote

Am hoping that Mysty will get an advance copy of the new album to share with us! That would be really cool after all the great features KGRL has done with Char!

http://www.kgrl.fm/fpa/charlottemartin.php

Maybe we will see some of you later yakking in the KGRL flowerbox about your favorite singers! Very Happy
jules101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really hope the new album GOES WIDE RELEASE...like more than usual. i am so looking forward to what charlotte has in store. and there's no other place i'd rather be talking about charlotte than right here with all you guys and gals...i love the different points of views of what the fans want to hear.

whatever comes from charlotte next, it's gonna be exciting. Smile

what else do you hope to hear? how do you feel about the new songs which were premiered on this last tour...?
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i'm listening to volcano right now... and um, i want to have sex with it.

and yes, this album should get a wide release like jules said. like, so wide that it's sold at walmart. that's actually where i bought on your shore! that album was at walmart. lol. i totally forgot that that's where i bought that from. i remember i was working at walmart during the summer of '04, and on August 10, i totally bought it after work and i remember going home with it and listening to it that night. and wanting to have sex with madman.
sarah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow
jules101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Newturkey wrote:
so, i'm listening to volcano right now... and um, i want to have sex with it.

and yes, this album should get a wide release like jules said. like, so wide that it's sold at walmart. that's actually where i bought on your shore! that album was at walmart. lol. i totally forgot that that's where i bought that from. i remember i was working at walmart during the summer of '04, and on August 10, i totally bought it after work and i remember going home with it and listening to it that night. and wanting to have sex with madman.

volcano is a GREAT song. im so looking forward to hearing what it and 'tremble' sound like on the album. very intrigued!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: