Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Char to YOU!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Official Dancing on Needles News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa*Marie
Management

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: From Char to YOU! Reply with quote

A great question was submitted by Lena for the recent Something Like a Fan Club video chat, but time ran short.

So, we took the question offline:

"Do you have any questions for us?"

Charlotte's reply:

"Yes, what kind of music would be, interesting for you all to hear for me…considering you all, don't ask me to go learn to play guitar or the flute. Smile"

Now it is time to bring this discussion back online to YOU! What kind music would you like to hear from Char?
Marco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like when your music is more organic, less about the electronics. Drums are a must, which I know you love. But your melodies and harmonies always sound so much more gorgeous backed up by strings, a brass instrument, drums. I still remember when you performed live with a french horn and it was SO beyond beautiful.

On the other hand, I would love to hear you do an 80's influenced album! I know you have dabbled in it before (Limits, Apology)... those two examples are two of my favorites!

Organic 80's! You can do that! Wink
jules101
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great question, lena! it kinda opens it up for char to ask us something for once. Smile

im partial to the use of electronics but char's voice is her most amazing instrument so that should never come second. on first thought of this question, i think of 'under the gravel skies' as being the sound i love from char. so what's the next step to that? for the most part, 'stromata' and the sounds on that. which i love. but. i dunno. what does everyone else think? im sure i'll have more when i think on it this weekend.

marco - really?? no more electronics?? i do love 80s influenced...that could be very exciting for char (and us!).
Marco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean NO electronics. I love love love Stromata and it's electronic heavy! But when I was talking about electronics that I don't like I guess I'm really talking about the kind of electronics that are less meaty, less in-your-face and too common. I love when the electronics are truly singular and really enhance the songs as opposed to just adding a disposable layer to them.
SkekTek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine answered in the chat, but I had another, sillier one:

"Can you move to the northeast so we could see and hear and hug you and your lovely family more often? We MISSSSSS YOUUUUUU!!!!!"

No answer needed, but I had to throw that out there. Smile

-Jerry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GionVincent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing on needles is my favorite album of Charlottes. Particularly Dancing on needles, Truth Cerium and Animal.... Something about the production, timing, and the way she is using her voice with the lower keys. I can't put it into words because I am not a musician, but when I listen they kinda amp me up. I could run (away) to it. ... SO yeah, more of that =)
gg
Jessie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree, DoN is my favorite album right now, I love everything about it. Especially the title song. So, what you're doing right now I love. I think an acoustic version of the album was mentioned? That would be awesome.

And please please make the physical copy available to purchase for us collectors and people-that-like-to-touch-things. Smile (Even if they have to be ordered in advance to get a count on how many to make, even if they are more expensive for us.) Very Happy

OH! And a live bootleg collection would be GREAT! Cause you are so good live. Maybe some soundboard recordings?

I know this is totally off topic here but... a sheet music book of favorites? I know I am not the only one on the interwebz trying to figure out how to play certain songs.

Tori: Anaheim '07, LA '07, LA '09 LA '11 ~ Joanna: LA '10 ~ Charlotte: LA '09, LA '11, LA '12 LA '13
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera Please!!! Very Happy
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no requests! CharMar has kept delivering all kinds of interesting music for her entire career.
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: From Char to YOU! Reply with quote

Lisa*Marie wrote:
Now it is time to bring this discussion back online to YOU! What kind music would you like to hear from Char?

I personally would love to hear a throwback to the One Girl Army days... more fun, upbeat numbers that just make you feel good. Getting Even and Silver Honey come to mind... songs with simple, succinct piano licks with a distinct drum beat backing it up.

Also, I love when she does all vocal tracks like Genesis and Mission to the Moon. More of that please!

And I agree with what a few people said before about more organic production... strings, horns. Like Parade On.

Oh and I'd love if she did more collaborations. I'm such a fan of Complications which she co-wrote and also her collab. with Ben Lee on Is This How Love's Supposed to Feel?.
LukeTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard question to answer! I spent a while reflecting on this, trying to identify the qualities I love so much about your music. I can't clearly describe them, but these are some of the things I've loved in past music and would want in future music:

1. Complexity. I love the multi-layered masterpieces and I marvel at how the pieces mesh. It's like a good novel with multiple levels of meaning: Every time you re-read it, you notice something new. If forced to name my two favorite songs, I would say "Gravel Skies" and "The Dance."

2. Simplicity. Or, the opposite works too! Songs that are mainly piano and voice are so beautiful. I love "Habit," and "A Hopeless Attempt." We can always use more of these!

3. Unusual timbres. Percussion, bells, synths, and other sounds that aren't quite like anything you've heard before really make for an interesting track. This is one of the things I like best about "Veins," "Gravel Skies," "Dancing on Needles" and others.

4. Emotional honesty. This is the #1 thing that makes your music so great. The songs that move me the most are so obviously based on personal experience, and written and sung from the heart. You put so much of yourself into it, and it really comes through in the vocal performance and lyrics. Some of the best examples are “Life Vest,” “Tremble,” “Your Armor,” and “Redeemed.”

Maybe it's not such a good idea to ask your fans what they want in future music, because we're all going to say we want more of the same. But you can't make the same record twice, right? What I really want is for you to write and sing whatever's in your heart, and I'm sure it will continue to touch and amaze me!

-- Robert
matt2778

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an acoustic Greatest Hits cd. Would kill to have an acoustic studio version of The Dance. The live version of the last tour was amazing Smile
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2778 wrote:
How about an acoustic Greatest Hits cd.

I am SO for this.
m3rcur3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing question, it is rare for an artist to ask what is wanted from the viewer/listener - especially when the artist is a visionary. After listening to Charlotte's music for almost a decade now, and being a huge music fan in general I can only give my opinion.. what has moved me about her talent. Just to say what I already love about her music.

Most of the music that I listen to is very dark, eerie and really examines the seasons of the soul. It has a massive amount of grinding heaviness with very beautiful harmonic overlays that create a huge contrast in the sound without blending the entire piece into something flatlined. For me, if a song grabs me it has to have depth, not just vocally but an entire sound-landscape with layers, no concept of time and moments of highs and lows. Sometimes the most beautiful moments are when the artist isn't singing and the music itself creates that very atmosphere. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus is repetitive and too radio geared and think that artists are evolving from that pattern. All these things are what I find in Charlotte's music, I find the same things in hers as I do the very loud musicians, because its focused on letting the sound become part of the words and creating an atmosphere, rather than hearing something for the first time and expecting every turn and move.

When I first heard 'Veins' I was blown away, especially with how the vocals at the end become passionately charged. The same with 'Cut The Cord' 'Dust' and "Empty Wells' Off Dancing on needles, "Animal" "Tremble" "Ready For A Flight" and "Language Of God" are amazing. Drums, drums were made for Charlotte, and its that contrast with her voice that flattens people, and its rare to find piano/drum/synth musicians that create art on this scale. Above all, with everything I listen to - its the content of what she says in her songs which really makes her stand out above anyone else musically. It shows so much in her music that her faith has grown over the years, and what she just went through and what came from that lyrically is a clear example of her growth, realization and strength. Great, great things come from pain and she made a masterpiece with DON.

I love arty, heavy, dark, weird, truthful music, everything she already does. So this was about saying what I already love about this musician rather than what I personally want. Every artist will experience an exodus of a fan base from doing the same things and even different things. The only thing that matters is the source, and that every moment taken making the creation it is out of passion, love and artistically driven determination. Keeping that sacred, and keeping the vision scared is what makes true art. And the viewers/listeners/critics are not part of that.

God bless! and thanks for making the music that you have made!
I look forward to every new song.
Sorry for going off into oblivion on this.
SkekTek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of this:

I would love for Char to cover some old Chicago tunes:

I'd love to hear her take on Colour My World or Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is.

Certainly not enough people covering those classic tunes of my childhood. Charlotte Martin with a brass section! Three Dog Night's Shambala comes to mind too Smile

-Jerry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jules101
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my god, all these responses are wonderful.

m3rcur3, i agree. completely. as much as we may think we know what is good...ultimately, it should be up to char mar. to remain true to herself and her music. that's what it comes down to. we all have our preferences...i like dark, intense, heavy, some electronic...it's amazing because char can do it all. lol

i can't wait for what is to come...

more responses!! i love reading them. Smile
C.J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlotte Martin should cover one of Ken's songs!!! Specifically "Vaporize" from his band Year of the Rabbit. That is my favorite song of life, and an acoustic cover from Char would floor me <3
Kate_1221

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so amazing, it's great to hear Char wants our opinion! Personally, I really love the early works - Silver Honey, Pretty Thing, One Girl Army, Something like a hero - so something like that would be brilliant to hear. But I must say I love all of the ideas in this thread. I definitely second the live bootleg collection.

But of course, I'll love whatever Char decides to make - it's all great! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Official Dancing on Needles News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: