Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truth Cerium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Official Dancing on Needles News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Truth Cerium Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerium#Applications

So what does cerium mean in the context of this song? I'm stumped!
jules101
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have problems with this song...lol
leirali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us your problems.

*pulls up a couch*

jules101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::lies down on couch::

well...i cannot recognize it when she plays it.

the 3 times ive heard it live? i had to ask my friend which song it was. it's...unlike me. lol

maybe i need for it to grow on me? but. it just sounds like it's something else.
leirali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have moved me to confess that I did not recognize it either at Joe's Pub! I feel like a great weight has been lifted off me!!

Seriously - I just thought it was the fact that the album was new and I had only listened a handful of times. But it was the only song I couldn't recognize. (I asked Lauren, and she knew what it was. Praise be!)

I like it on the album though. Maybe it'll sound awesome live with a full band. Wink
Lizzieness0315

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what does cerium mean in the context of this song? I'm stumped!

Cerium - a sometimes toxic rare earth element - I believe the title of the song is supposed to be taken metaphorically rather then literally.

Now, this is only my own PERSONAL TAKE on the possible meaning - since some people here love to tear apart the words of others - but I think "Cerium" symbolizes poison, personal hardships, imprisonment, and even a brittle, fragile spirit.

The song lyrics reference being kept on the knees i.e. kept prisoner by perhaps unknown forces. Take into consideration that Cerium is a powder - could be a reference to a drug. Since it is also used in glass making and bending, the "Cerium" could be used to reference being as brittle as glass...
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzieness0315 wrote:
Cerium - a sometimes toxic rare earth element - I believe the title of the song is supposed to be taken metaphorically rather then literally.

Now, this is only my own PERSONAL TAKE on the possible meaning - since some people here love to tear apart the words of others - but I think "Cerium" symbolizes poison, personal hardships, imprisonment, and even a brittle, fragile spirit.

The song lyrics reference being kept on the knees i.e. kept prisoner by perhaps unknown forces. Take into consideration that Cerium is a powder - could be a reference to a drug. Since it is also used in glass making and bending, the "Cerium" could be used to reference being as brittle as glass...

Very good, I had a feeling it was a metaphor but couldn't lock it down!
hidingunderwater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leirali wrote:
You have moved me to confess that I did not recognize it either at Joe's Pub! I feel like a great weight has been lifted off me!!

Seriously - I just thought it was the fact that the album was new and I had only listened a handful of times. But it was the only song I couldn't recognize. (I asked Lauren, and she knew what it was. Praise be!)

I like it on the album though. Maybe it'll sound awesome live with a full band. Wink

I must confess, I only recognized it because I knew it was the song that I can't recognize.
leirali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidingunderwater wrote:
leirali wrote:

I must confess, I only recognized it because I knew it was the song that I can't recognize.

That's hilarious!

I love how we are all confessing stuff in the Truth Cerium thread. Smile

Lena

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidingunderwater wrote:

Haha, this is how I've learned to identify the song, too! I don't know why we have trouble recognizing it.
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because the melody is not particularly memorable... The song is more rhythmic than melodic.
MusicLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Newturkey wrote:
I think it's because the melody is not particularly memorable... The song is more rhythmic than melodic.

Exactly it's very angular. Def not elevator MUZAK!
JenniferErinD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering what this song is about the past week (oddly, I did recognize it right away when I heard it live, but I think that's because I'm partial to songs that have a kind of driven yet bitter undertone).

I agree.... I think it's about some sort of poison. That may be an abused substance, an abusive side of a lover or friend, or an masochistic/abusive side of the self. There is obvious denial about the negative effects of the "poison." This seems to be a pattern that she can get control over for a while, but as soon as she lets her guard in, she tricks herself into thinking that the "poison" is safe.

- Jen
veritaserum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenniferErinD wrote:
I think it's about some sort of poison. That may be an abused substance, an abusive side of a lover or friend,

that's how i interpret it, definitely

Quote:
or an masochistic/abusive side of the self.

i also like this theory. hadn't thought about it like that.
somethinglikeajoey12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Newturkey wrote:

Amen.
jules101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
hidingunderwater wrote:

Haha, this is how I've learned to identify the song, too! I don't know why we have trouble recognizing it.

im glad im not alone in this! i mean, its a good song but...i need to trick my brain into remembering it. the person i usually ask at shows didnt come with me in LA so...i kept thinking 'big piano beginning, big piano beginning...'
jules101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenniferErinD wrote:
I've been wondering what this song is about the past week (oddly, I did recognize it right away when I heard it live, but I think that's because I'm partial to songs that have a kind of driven yet bitter undertone).

I agree.... I think it's about some sort of poison. That may be an abused substance, an abusive side of a lover or friend, or an masochistic/abusive side of the self. There is obvious denial about the negative effects of the "poison." This seems to be a pattern that she can get control over for a while, but as soon as she lets her guard in, she tricks herself into thinking that the "poison" is safe.

- Jen

hi jen! Smile
MusicLover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just something about the piano line in the middle eight that takes me to another plane of existence!
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song is CharMar at her absolute best! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Official Dancing on Needles News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: