Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Rare Is The One Girl Army EP?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eyesore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: How Rare Is The One Girl Army EP? Reply with quote

I have only been listening to CM for about 2 years now, maybe less, and I only just downloaded the One Girl Army EP last night. I was positive that I could find that damn thing by now, but I've seen it nowhere!! And I'm pretty damn good at acquiring rare albums and such.

So how rare is it? Does anyone know how many copies were sent out?

http://www.eyesoretimes.com
Anticubital

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How Rare Is The One Girl Army EP? Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:
I have only been listening to CM for about 2 years now, maybe less, and I only just downloaded the One Girl Army EP last night. I was positive that I could find that damn thing by now, but I've seen it nowhere!! And I'm pretty damn good at acquiring rare albums and such.

So how rare is it? Does anyone know how many copies were sent out?

Hi Ken!

Like you, we have only been listening to Char for two years...we first witnessed her performance at the Chicks With An Attitude concert in Minneapolis. The rest is history.

The One Girl Army EP is very rare. The last time I saw it on sale on Ebay...it sold for a very hefty price!

We were very lucky to get a CDR of it mailed to us a few months ago, by another member of this board who bought it from CD Baby when it was available.

Would venture to say that if you have a question on how many copies were mailed out, that perhaps Mike Gray or Jules could answer that? Confused

http://www.silverhoney.co.uk/discography.htm

http://www.darkest-limits.com
Eyesore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAH! I forgot about the full-lenght version! Pffft! How rare is that one? Hahaha.

This hurts my ego, I've found some really hard to find items countless times by other artists. This, I just can't find anywhere. I feel like I'm looking for Atlantis! Laughing I hate downloading, but I think 2 years is long enough, right? Now I have to find the damn full-length, too. So depressing. Hahaha.

EDIT: Hmmm...I just noticed some tracks from the Rarities EPs are on the full-length of One Girl Army, are these versions different? *scratch that. I read further!* Wink

EDIT AGAIN: Crap! I'm such a turd. The advanced copy of On Your Shore has different songs? It reads:

It should be noted that Wild Horses is identical to the version that was posted to the official web site as a free MP3 download but was later removed. None of the other tracks here have ever been released in the same form. Your Armor has more strings, for example.

Does that mean all those tracks are different? Because I know where I can find this for $6! I almost bought it a few times simply because it's not copy-protected and have put it back each time. Anyone know for sure? All of a sudden I've reverted to noob status! Laughing

aoj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:
BAH! I forgot about the full-lenght version! Pffft! How rare is that one? Hahaha.

This hurts my ego, I've found some really hard to find items countless times by other artists. This, I just can't find anywhere. I feel like I'm looking for Atlantis! Laughing I hate downloading, but I think 2 years is long enough, right? Now I have to find the damn full-length, too. So depressing. Hahaha.

EDIT: Hmmm...I just noticed some tracks from the Rarities EPs are on the full-length of One Girl Army, are these versions different? *scratch that. I read further!* Wink

EDIT AGAIN: Crap! I'm such a turd. The advanced copy of On Your Shore has different songs? It reads:

It should be noted that Wild Horses is identical to the version that was posted to the official web site as a free MP3 download but was later removed. None of the other tracks here have ever been released in the same form. Your Armor has more strings, for example.

Does that mean all those tracks are different? Because I know where I can find this for $6! I almost bought it a few times simply because it's not copy-protected and have put it back each time. Anyone know for sure? All of a sudden I've reverted to noob status! Laughing

The E.P. is attainable, but pretty much you will never find the full-length (might as well look for unicorns). The full-length was never actually released.. So as the story goes, even Jesus himself doesn't have a copy. And Jesus is quite the magician from what I've heard... but maybe that only applies to bread and wine?
mikegray
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered Charlotte music on the 25th of June 2002, and in that time, I have *NEVER* seen the full length One Girl Army on sale anywhere.

I'm not sure that the OGA EP was ever available on CDBaby, I thought it was only available from this site, although I'd be happy to be corrected on that. There were two different versions issued, I believe, one with a colour inlay and one with a black & white inlay. I think the B&W one was earlier.

My notes on the promo for On Your Shore were made before the release of the record and were just meant to note that the tracks were different to versions previously released on EPs or for download on the web site.

As far as I know, the OGA tracks that nobody seems to have are: Taking It Like A Man and Dangled.

However, the 2002 four song sampler version of Silver Honey is different to the version on the One Girl Army EP, as it includes the musical 'link' to Prelude, meaning that even if those two tracks make it out (maybe on the Rarities EP) I can't be sure that we'd have the full equivalent of One Girl Army.

Was that confusing enough for you all? Smile
Happymelody

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in so far as the 6 song sampler called One Girl Army, I don't think it is that rare. I mean Mike outlines all the details of the various permutations of the CD, but the 6 song sampler was sold from her website, and at her live performances when she toured in 2002 and 2003. ?? I discovered immediately with the release of test-drive songs and saw her play in San Francisco supporting that CD, and she was selling OGA at the merch table at that time. When did TDS come out again?
Eyesore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happymelody wrote:
At least in so far as the 6 song sampler called One Girl Army, I don't think it is that rare. I mean Mike outlines all the details of the various permutations of the CD, but the 6 song sampler was sold from her website, and at her live performances when she toured in 2002 and 2003. ?? I discovered immediately with the release of test-drive songs and saw her play in San Francisco supporting that CD, and she was selling OGA at the merch table at that time. When did TDS come out again?

It has to be pretty rare if I haven't been able to find it. That probably sounds cocky, but I've found demo tapes from early 80's thrash bands fairly easily, but can't find Charlotte's stuff. I'm talking about 4-track tapes limited to 100 and I've found them. I haven't even seen this album/EP for sale anywhere.

veritaserum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:

It has to be pretty rare if I haven't been able to find it. That probably sounds cocky, but I've found demo tapes from early 80's thrash bands fairly easily, but can't find Charlotte's stuff. I'm talking about 4-track tapes limited to 100 and I've found them. I haven't even seen this album/EP for sale anywhere.

it was on ebay a couple of weeks ago and that was the only time i have have ever seen it in over two years. AND it was being sold from the netherlands, i believe. so no, it's not exactly easy to find ...
mikegray
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day it wasn't hard to get at all, online and at shows. Once it stopped being sold from the site it became rare pretty quickly on the grounds that the people who have it aren't particularly likely to sell it, and it's unlikely that there's a 'stash' somewhere in a record company warehouse that's suddenly going to find itself on the open market.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

it was on ebay a couple of weeks ago and that was the only time i have have ever seen it in over two years. AND it was being sold from the netherlands, i believe. so no, it's not exactly easy to find ...

Probably a bootleg! I have been trying to find it for two years. When it was on sale on Ebay last winter, I questioned the authenticity of it with the seller, and the pics of it the seller sent sure looked legitimate. I can't remember for sure how much it sold for, but it was quite abit. Did not see the sale recently.
veritaserum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticubital wrote:
beauty queen wrote:

Probably a bootleg! I have been trying to find it for two years. When it was on sale on Ebay last winter, I questioned the authenticity of it with the seller, and the pics of it the seller sent sure looked legitimate. I can't remember for sure how much it sold for, but it was quite abit. Did not see the sale recently.

it wasn't a boot; the seller bought it way back when and he/she had pictures to back it up. this one sold for almost $70.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
Anticubital wrote:
beauty queen wrote:

it wasn't a boot; the seller bought it way back when and he/she had pictures to back it up. this one sold for almost $70.

Glad to hear that it was not a boot! I sure wish I had seen that sale. Would have been more than glad to pay that! If you see anymore for sale, please PM! Thanks! Very Happy
Anticubital

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:
Happymelody wrote:

You do not sound cocky at all! You have turned us onto to alot of great music! Very Happy
aoj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
Anticubital wrote:
beauty queen wrote:

$70.. i like that! especially for an ep that was only available on cd-r (if i'm remembering correctly).

hey eyesore, if in your travels you come across the japanese version of the fruit that ate itself by modest mouse, i'd be happy to know. ;} (or the cranberries' uncertain ep for a reasonable price).
Eyesore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoj wrote:
(or the cranberries' uncertain ep for a reasonable price).

I'd have to find two because if I find one it's MINE!! Twisted Evil Seriously, this is a damn rare CD/12". I'll keep that Modest Mouse in mind, I have a list for friends. I don't see a Japanese version of it listed anywhere? What's on it?

I just found a Canadian friend a CD she'd been looking for for ages, it cost me $9. Now she loves me. Laughing

sickpuppy73

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Char played here in nashvegas she stated during the show that OGA was never officially released, and she herself didn't own a copy.

There may be some unicorns out there,nobody knows for shure.
Bogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegray wrote:

As far as I know, the OGA tracks that nobody seems to have are: Taking It Like A Man and Dangled.

However, the 2002 four song sampler version of Silver Honey is different to the version on the One Girl Army EP, as it includes the musical 'link' to Prelude, meaning that even if those two tracks make it out (maybe on the Rarities EP) I can't be sure that we'd have the full equivalent of One Girl Army.

As far as I know, this is correct. I have yet to find Taking It Like A Man and Dangled. Getting Even is a tough one to find, as it's only available on the One Girl Army album sampler.

A few things to note...the mixes for Silver Honey, In Parentheses and Raven on the One Girl Army EP are slightly different than the One Girl Army album sampler. I believe they both are derived from the same recordings as the performances sound similar, but the One Girl Army EP is layered slightly differently than the album sampler and is also louder and brighter. Also, the EP lacks a small 15-second piano intro to In Parentheses that the album sampler has.

There are small discrepancies like that which lead me to believe the tracks we'd really need to have a full representation of the OGA album are:

Takin' It Like A Man, One Girl Army, Dangled, and Something Like A Hero
chrisnz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I get in trouble if I ask someone to point me in the direction of where to find the OGA tracks???
Moonloop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegray wrote:
I discovered Charlotte music on the 25th of June 2002, and in that time, I have *NEVER* seen the full length One Girl Army on sale anywhere.

I'm not sure that the OGA EP was ever available on CDBaby, I thought it was only available from this site, although I'd be happy to be corrected on that. There were two different versions issued, I believe, one with a colour inlay and one with a black & white inlay. I think the B&W one was earlier.

My version of OGA is the one with the colour inlay. I'm pretty sure I bought it from CD-Baby but I wouldn't be prepared to put money on it just in case..!!
Bogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked last night to see where I picked up the OGA EP...I bought it directly from charlottemartin.com back in January of '03. CDBaby only sold the "limited edition" Test Drive Songs EP at the time. Wink
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to my knowledge it was not on cd baby. i personally got mine at the hotel cafe in may 03
Happymelody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:
mikegray wrote:

As far as I know, this is correct. I have yet to find Taking It Like A Man and Dangled. Getting Even is a tough one to find, as it's only available on the One Girl Army album sampler.

A few things to note...the mixes for Silver Honey, In Parentheses and Raven on the One Girl Army EP are slightly different than the One Girl Army album sampler. I believe they both are derived from the same recordings as the performances sound similar, but the One Girl Army EP is layered slightly differently than the album sampler and is also louder and brighter. Also, the EP lacks a small 15-second piano intro to In Parentheses that the album sampler has.

There are small discrepancies like that which lead me to believe the tracks we'd really need to have a full representation of the OGA album are:

Takin' It Like A Man, One Girl Army, Dangled, and Something Like A Hero

Do you have those other versions of Silver Honey, In Parenthese and Raven? What I am asking is not if you have the 6-track OGA version - which was at least sold at her tours in 2003, but rather do you have the version from the longer 2002 One Girl Army album. The OGA-album, I thought, was as rare as it could possibly get. Nothing rarer.
Moonloop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyesore wrote:

Here's a challenge for you then Very Happy . Porcupine Tree's first release was a cassette in 1990 entitled "The Love, Death and Mussolini EP". Only 10 copies were ever circulated and those were to magazines for review purposes. I know of one (genuine) owner and I've seen it on Ebay once, 2 years ago when it sold for £416. That leaves 8 in circulation (assuming that mags in question didn't bin them Shocked )

Over to you .. Cool Very Happy
Bogie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happymelody wrote:

Do you have those other versions of Silver Honey, In Parenthese and Raven? What I am asking is not if you have the 6-track OGA version - which was at least sold at her tours in 2003, but rather do you have the version from the longer 2002 One Girl Army album. The OGA-album, I thought, was as rare as it could possibly get. Nothing rarer.

Yes, I do have that sampler. It showed up on eBay at the beginning of last year. The thing that upset me more is that the seller continued to sell CD-R copies of the sampler after the fact, basically devalueing the original.

Moonloop wrote:

Here's a challenge for you then Very Happy . Porcupine Tree's first release was a cassette in 1990 entitled "The Love, Death and Mussolini EP". Only 10 copies were ever circulated and those were to magazines for review purposes. I know of one (genuine) owner and I've seen it on Ebay once, 2 years ago when it sold for £416. That leaves 8 in circulation (assuming that mags in question didn't bin them Shocked )

Well, we all know that Porcupine Tree fans are rabid collectors. Hell, on eBay, I sold a sealed copy of XM back in the day for $300, and I sold a 6-track sampler of In Absentia for $125 (and I only paid 99 cents...so I decided to leave the price tag on it!).[/quote]
veritaserum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogie wrote:

Yes, I do have that sampler. It showed up on eBay at the beginning of last year. The thing that upset me more is that the seller continued to sell CD-R copies of the sampler after the fact, basically devalueing the original.

do you mind me asking how much you paid? i'm just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: