Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set list and reviews - Jammin Java 2/3/2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clinke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Set list and reviews - Jammin Java 2/3/2014 Reply with quote

So I finally got to see Charlotte live for the first time this last Monday at Jammin Java, located in Vienna, Virginia. Vienna is located in the Virginia suburbs of DC about a mile or so from the Vienna Orange Line Metro Station, and practically down the street from where I grew up in northern Virginia. I'd been to Jammin Java many times and was very eager to see Char there for the first time!

Here is what I remember of the setlist. Songs not necessarily in any order, except for the first song (I remember she did that one first), the encore, and the last song before the encore. If anyone else was there, they could probably remember the order better than me. I just wanted to post something about the show in case other people on the forum were there too. Smile

- Under the Gravel Skies*
- Four Walls
- Animal
- Water Breaks Stone
- Inch
- Warrior
- Special Tour Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ0p-krTr88)
- Galaxies (I was so happy to hear this one, LOVE this tune!)
- Science and Love*
- One Girl Army (said this was the song the record company liked the most probably because of the complexity of the song. She described it as "hard to play")
- Stromata (this one ROCKED live!)
- Fearfully and Wonderfully Made (I'd heard previous live versions of this and LOVED it. Was hoping she'd play it, can relate to it very much)
- Something Like a Hero*

Encore:

- Song to the Siren/Starlight (Muse cover)/On Your Shore

I was in complete awe of her the entire time she played. As I said, I'd never seen her live before, since I always missed her when she came around the east coast, but this time worked out perfectly! I'd seen live videos of her before, since I own Something Like a DVD and Hiding Places, but to actually see her for real was quite an experience for me. Her music has meant a lot to me since I first discovered it in college and has helped me through some really rough times. I was practically in tears during "Warrior," a particularly poignant song for me. It reminds me not only of myself but also another friend of mine who has had a lot of rough personal issues that she's had to fight through.

Charlotte played for a little over an hour, scheduled to go on around 7:30 but ended up coming on around 8. During the show, it was just her, her piano keyboard, and a synthesizer, which she used on the songs with * next to the title. And as I expected, she was very personable and joking with the audience. And though it was her fifth show in three days (there were lots of water bottles sitting near her and she was sucking on cough drops throughout the show), she sounded wonderful vocally. Very clear and strong, better than on record. I could've listened to her all night, and I know the audience could have too. But as she put it when someone asked her to keep playing, "I want to be able to talk to you all later," and pointed to her throat. Good job on saving the voice! Smile

After the show, I purchased a copy of her latest and greatest as well as the Darkest Hour EP, from which I've only ever heard the title track. And wouldn't you know it, I got to meet her!Very Happy

She signed my copy of "Water Breaks Stone" and "Darkest Hour" (I made sure to buy a copy because I'd NEVER heard any of the songs other than the title track before) and I even got a picture. I chatted with her a little too but it was not for too long because there were about forty other people in line behind me. Best not to tell her my life story then! But I did get to tell her how much her music meant to me, and I admit that I almost cried. I tend to get emotional when meeting someone whose music has meant a lot to me. You should've seen me when I met Tori Amos a few years ago!

Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and I look forward to seeing her again when she comes around.

And for the record, "Water Breaks Stone" is THE AWESOMENESS woohoo! Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

For pictures, including the picture of me and Charlotte standing together, you can see my blog post about it on my site: http://www.cecilee.net/2014/02/08/charlotte-martin-at-jammin-java-february-3-2014/
leirali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your experience! Sounds like this was an amazing night.

Welcome to the Char family! Don't be a stranger. Smile

clinke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Leirali! Smile I'd been a lurker for years, but only joined last year.

Wonder if anyone else here on the forum was at the Jammin Java show? I thought I saw someone set up some equipment for taping as I was walking to my seat at the venue, so I'm surprised that I haven't seen the show on archive.org yet. Smile
leirali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clinke wrote:
Thanks, Leirali! Smile I'd been a lurker for years, but only joined last year.

Wonder if anyone else here on the forum was at the Jammin Java show? I thought I saw someone set up some equipment for taping as I was walking to my seat at the venue, so I'm surprised that I haven't seen the show on archive.org yet. Smile

There were some forum members at the Jammin Java show, yes. But I'll let them come forward themselves. Smile

There is a post on the Darkest Limits facebook page about the show.

Was it Ken that you saw setting up taping equipment, by any chance?

clinke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it was Ken with the audio equipment. I definitely saw him wandering around taking pictures while she was playing though! Smile
Lena

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!! Jules and I were there! Jules did record audio for the whole show, but I believe it'll take some more time to get that edited and uploaded.

Charlotte invited everyone to join in at the end of Something Like a Hero, which brought back some old tour memories! A Jammin' Java tradition? Smile Such a great venue!

Loved how we all thought Starlight was going to be the last song, but Charlotte started playing On Your Shore without missing a beat, claiming "My fingers won't stop playing!"

So glad you got to see her play for the first time, Cecilee! Smile
SkekTek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is!

Jules' lovely recording parsed out, cleaned up, and available to all! Note- it might take 10-15 minutes from now for all the different files to be available. Also, when I get a good pic from Jules from the show, I'll make a nice cover for the show and upload that as well.

But for now, that should be all of the east coast shows- enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/cmartin2014-02-03

Time for sleep Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
clinke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo!!

Thanks a bunch for uploading! I was so excited to wake up this morning and see the show uploaded! Very Happy So guess what I'm listening to now on my iPhone? Razz

Live shows are even more fun to listen to when you were actually there. Very Happy

Edit: That's me saying, "It's boring" at the beginning of "Stromata" when Char is talking about how "there's no normal." And there's me requesting "Cloudbusting" at the start of the encore. You can clearly hear me. Razz Cool
SkekTek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a rather chatty audience- I think because it was the last one on the east coast leg, and people were "feeling it". I had to do some creative editing with this show since I wanted Char's voice and piano to be loud enough on the tracks, and sometimes the applause and shouts were the loudest thing on it!

I try to put as much of the banter and interactions in the shows and only remove large portions of cheering or silence. Next time you go to a show, make sure you thank Jules for the recording, and spread the link around to folks you want to get hooked on her music!

Want to do a shirt design that says: KEEP CALM AND CHARMAR ON

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin Live All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: