Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

florence and the machine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Other Artists and General Off-topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veritaserum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: florence and the machine Reply with quote

any fans of the wonderful flo on here? i know we have quite a few brits on the board, and the rest of us have our fingers on the pulse of good music.

but if you haven't heard anything by her yet, i insist that you at least listen to a song or two! she has a BRILLIANT voice and fantastic lyrics (for the most part lol). if you like kate nash & bat for lashes she's like a mix of the two.

she has two eps out (and a whole slew of demos) and her full length debut, lungs comes out monday in the UK. she's being the media's darling for over a year now (without even an album out!), won the critic's choice at the brit awards in february, played glastonbury two years in a row as well other festivals, etc. her album is getting mostly raves. Smile

here are just a few reviews:
wears the trousers 4 stars (out of 5)
bbc (no rating)
culturedeluxe 9/10
the guardian 4/5

suggested listening:
rabbit heart (raise it up) *
dog days are over
howl *
you've got the love (the source & candi staton cover; live at radio 1's big weekend may 9, 2009) *
halo (beyonce cover)
hospital beds (cold war kids cover) *
i'm goin' down ft/ kid harpoon (springsteen cover)

* = really suggested listening Razz

and of course, the myspace.

any takers?
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup..you got a taker here! We have had Flo & The Machine on our "must buy" list for awhile. Thanks for deleting my bank account. Laughing Maybe she will tour in the U.S. someday!
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Brits...here are some awesome pics of Flo taken by Mike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_g_gray/sets/72157619031071335/

How awesome would it be see pics like that of Charlotte when she finally decides to tour in England?
veritaserum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay randy! i knew you'd like her. did you order the deluxe version of the album? i can't wait to hear those tracks.

the sun has the full album available for streaming here (not available outside the UK, but another site is supposed to have it streaming this weekend so maybe that one will be available worldwide).

those are great pics mike! i especially love these too http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_g_gray/sets/72157619114003988/
Anticubital

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
yay randy! i knew you'd like her. did you order the deluxe version of the album? i can't wait to hear those tracks.

the sun has the full album available for streaming here (not available outside the UK, but another site is supposed to have it streaming this weekend so maybe that one will be available worldwide).

those are great pics mike! i especially love these too http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_g_gray/sets/72157619114003988/

Thanks! Ordered the deluxe version... Very Happy Will probably be here a week from Monday or so. Would love to get that VERY limited box set she has for sale on her web-site...it looks amazing. But, jeesh, it is 200 UK pounds!!
torisspacedog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check her out. I just recently was introduced to: Bat For Lashes Got her album: Two Suns and I love it . And a couple days after listening to her I find out shes going to be at the Varsity Theater YEAH! Simply the best place for seeing any artist you enjoy. The reason I might seem a little overexcited is I usually hear about the local shows reading the review. That sucks.

Randy Are you a fan ? Are you coming up for the show?? Let me know thanks. Mark L.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torisspacedog wrote:
I'll have to check her out. I just recently was introduced to: Bat For Lashes Got her album: Two Suns and I love it . And a couple days after listening to her I find out shes going to be at the Varsity Theater YEAH! Simply the best place for seeing any artist you enjoy. The reason I might seem a little overexcited is I usually hear about the local shows reading the review. That sucks.

Randy Are you a fan ? Are you coming up for the show?? Let me know thanks. Mark L.

Yup, Heidi and I will be there! Probably in the front of the line so we can get a comfortable seat at the front..lol..

http://www.charlotteteam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=43937#43937

And gotta agree, The Varsity is our favorite place to see great singers like Char and all when we travel to Minneapolis.

Hope to meet you there!
mikegray
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:

I only just saw that these got posted here. Embarassed There's quite a few more shots in those sets that people can't see unless they're marked as a friend on my Flickr account - so if you want to see a few more, just add me on Flickr and I'll mark you as a friend. Smile

Hoping to shoot Florence's show on Friday, fingers crossed. The album has fast become one of my favourite of the year, and she's having some well deserved success over here.

She's a fantastic live performer, and even managed to win over Blur's crowd when I saw her support them - her cover of You Got The Love is a complete showstopper every single time.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been listening to Lungs for the last few days, and I'm surprised at how much I like a hyped and popular britpop outfit. Hopefully Florence will be able to protect her creative vision from the label execs over the next few years.
Tim Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love love love! just recently got into her/them. new tour dates have been announced. i hope she adds more.

Oct 27 - Bowery Ballroom, New York
Oct 30 - Troubadour, Los Angeles
Nov 1 - Cabaret, Montreal
Nov 2 - Mod Club, Toronto

...my quiet's not gentle...
veritaserum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will definitely be at the troubadour Smile i did want to go to the phish fest in indio that weekend but ... who knows anymore. i just really don't want to miss flo.
mikegray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot Florence & The Machine again tonight. Friends can see more shots...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_g_gray/sets/72157622330560377/

I should probably mention at this point that I've shut down my Char fan site, and it's now a home for my photography, which I'm doing on a semi-professional basis. Other sites were doing the job so much better and I've not been able to find the time to update it.

But www.silverhoney.co.uk does still exist if you fancy seeing some more of my live music shots.
veritaserum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guh, amazing photos mike! i can't wait to see her live. she looks incredible.

saddened to see silverhoney.co.uk is no longer a char destination ... i did use it often for the discography/song list section, which i felt was very thorough. thanks for having it around all these years, though. Smile
mikegray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
guh, amazing photos mike! i can't wait to see her live. she looks incredible.

saddened to see silverhoney.co.uk is no longer a char destination ... i did use it often for the discography/song list section, which i felt was very thorough. thanks for having it around all these years, though. Smile

Well, the discography's still around if you need it. Wink
http://silverhoney.co.uk/discography.htm

Nothing's actually been deleted, the index just redirects, so if you have things bookmarked they're still there.

Thanks for the kind words on the photos - the ones you can see are my "second tier" shots that I didn't send to my agency. If you add me on Flickr, there's about 30 more.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what the heck! Check this out!

http://bit.ly/3Nv7Em
sarah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the pointers my friends have talked about them alot lately and I'm very curious!
Tim Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

florence is on jimmy kimmel tomorrow night.

...my quiet's not gentle...
jules101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it took me awhile to completely get into it (eventhough i liked it from the start) but this performace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAUp5goZYs kinda made me a fan and excited to see her in november. Smile
mikegray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view, if she's playing small venues over there, go and see her while you still can.

In the UK she's made massive progress since I saw her play a local church (looked after by a very progressive reverand who likes to have bands play there - he sees the church as a community building that should have non religious events. Good guy) and got to take some photos of her there last June. Now, the chances of getting 1 on 1 access to her would be absolutely zero!

She's been the biggest success story of the year here and is now playing venues with capacities in the thousands, and I think that performance at Glastonbury was the largest crowd that stage ever saw (it's Glastonbury's second stage) - if she plays her cards right with the second album, she could headline it in a couple of years. She's a quiet, friendly person in my experience, and she deserves it.
torisspacedog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the CD Lungs and I seriously can't stop listening to it there isnt a bad song on the disc. And with a good system you can really rock the neighborhood. I'm going to have to start looking for the EP's mentioned.
Thanks Beauty Queen its your mentioning her that got the name stuck in my head And I just happened to come across it glad I did . I just love finding new artists that I like this much. Later Mark L
Anticubital

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Concert Reply with quote

Pretty neat 44 minute concert Live On Letterman:

http://bit.ly/eFX0uJ
leirali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party here, but I heard her version of "Last Christmas" on the radio a few days ago and it's fantastic. Wish she would release it. Gorgeousness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hAJIPn4ldY

adammlee23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also late to the FATM party! I remember hearing Dog Days and Kiss With a Fist for the first time on Minneapolis NPR radio station the Current and was in love with the songs instantly. Her voice kind of reminded me of Grace Slick / Jefferson Airplane. It took me a while to find the album - every Target I went to within a 20 mile radius was sold out!
When I finally got the album I was just floored and haven't stopped listening to the songs Between two Lungs and Drumming Song - they are just epic!
And her performace at the MTV music awards was the only thing worth watching - soooo good.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: New Song Reply with quote

Love It! Very Happy

http://www.florenceandthemachine.net/
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else is listening to "Ceremonials" right now? I was really worried that the 2nd album was going to be a disappointment, but F+M have surpassed themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Other Artists and General Off-topic Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: