Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charlotte's 'Wild Horses' covered by...Susan Boyle???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules101
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Charlotte's 'Wild Horses' covered by...Susan Boyle??? Reply with quote

hello all,

interesting article in the Toronto Star...the Star seems to think that Susan Boyle's first single, a cover of 'Wild Horses' by the Rolling Stones, sounds like Charlotte's version. lol

what do you all think? Smile

http://www.thestar.com/unassigned/article/695468

Susan Boyle covers the Rolling Stones

Sep 14, 2009 03:50 PM

JOHN SAKAMOTO
TORONTO STAR

It's hard to decide which is the bigger shock: that Scottish singing sensation Susan Boyle has chosen the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses" as the first single from her upcoming debut album or that the material turns out to be a perfect fit for her particular vocal talents. (Listen to it here: http://perezhilton.com/2009-09-13-subo-does-the-stones)

Boyle – whose fame on this continent rests largely on a YouTube video of her belting out "I Dreamed a Dream" in front of Simon Cowell on the U.K. TV show Britain's Got Talent (a clip that has now been viewed an astonishing 29 million times) – has toned down her vocal attack considerably on the Jagger-Richards' ballad.

Backed only by piano and strings, she sounds much younger than her 48 years and more like Tori Amos than an aspiring cast member of Les Miz. In fact, the approach recalls a previous cover of the song, by Illinois singer-songwriter Charlotte Martin, who released her interpretation on her 2004 album On Your Shore. (Listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNy5WfzuveM)

Boyle's version precedes her I Dreamed a Dream album, on which she's worked with British producer Steven McCutcheon, a.k.a. Steve Mac, who has made a specialty of helping singing-contest winners launch their careers. His résumé includes Leona Lewis (The X Factor), Kelly Clarkson (American Idol), and Paul Potts, the winner of the first season of Britain's Got Talent.

Though the album isn't out till Nov. 24, it continues to sit at or near the top of Amazon.com's music charts, ahead of the likes of Jay-Z and Whitney Houston, based on pre-orders alone.

Boyle, who is in the midst of her first American visit, is scheduled to perform "Wild Horses" on Wednesday's finale of America's Got Talent.

Last edited by jules101 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
veritaserum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it absolutely sounds just like charlotte's version. not the entire way through, but most of it. the comments on perez's site are pretty hilarious, saying that char's version isn't that great/doesn't evoke emotion ... really? i like susan boyle plenty, but i wasn't that wowed by her cover. maybe i'm just used to hearing char's version.
AntiSaint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Susan's was beautiful as well, but.. it does sound an awful lot like Charlotte's, and it didn't necessarily have to. I think they were aware of what they were doing, anyway.

...and Susan doesn't sing the "We'll ride them someday" line either. Just sayin. :P
jules101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i finally got a chance to listen to it...compare it.

it totally sounds like charlotte's version of 'wild horses.' wow. from the piano to the way susan sings it. soooo charlotte's version.

i liked susan. i liked 'i dream a dream'...but this is just...it's so much like char's version!

Laughing
jules101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonight, i took a look around to see what folks are saying about susan boyle's take on 'wild horses.' im glad to see that i am not the only one to hear just how much it sounds like char's version...

take a look at some of the write ups!

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/chatroom/topic/240337
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7Dc3KfcX0
http://www.celebitchy.com/70423/susan_boyles_first_single_a_cover_of_the_stones_wild_horses/
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2339486/posts
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1127290
http://groups.google.com/group/fa.music.ecto/browse_thread/thread/488299bdcb394c83
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/59753-susan-boyle-cover-stones-wild-horses.html
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/susan+boyle
http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/09/14/susan-boyle-wild-horses/

i like the ew.com one but...yeah. interesting stuff! if any of you feel like chiming in, feel free. ha! Computer
LukeTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...They have stolen her version of it; it's practically the same except Charlotte Martin is a much better singer."

I couldn't agree more!
SYNERGY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a family of Wild Horses. This version reminds me of the Sundays! Either way all versions are beautiful!! Amazing!!!
SYNERGY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:
it absolutely sounds just like charlotte's version. not the entire way through, but most of it. the comments on perez's site are pretty hilarious, saying that char's version isn't that great/doesn't evoke emotion ... really? i like susan boyle plenty, but i wasn't that wowed by her cover. maybe i'm just used to hearing char's version.

Yes, I agree! Charlotte has such a powerful version.
jules101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beauty queen wrote:

no, char's is the better cover. lol

seriously. i was impressed by boyle but...this was so...overtly char mar. i dont even know what to say. im a bit ticked! just because its not fair because indie artists work so hard and then someone just comes in and...you all get the picture. jmo
veritaserum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

char's is definitely the more powerful version! i can't blame susan boyle though. i'm sure she had ZERO hand in the production/arrangement or anything else going on (i doubt she even chose the song to start with). but whoever produced the thing blatantly ripped off charlotte's arrangement. Evil or Very Mad
wintered

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the piano is almost identical, it's really weird, it's like listening Charlotte playing but another person singing
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty pathetic, the performance and the act itself.
SYNERGY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty pathetic, the performance and the act itself.>>

Aw, now that is a little harsh.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plagiarism deserves no less. I refuse to be objective about the quality of a knockoff. But because I did listen to the whole thing, I can honestly say her performance was nowhere close to Char's. The whole thing felt emotionless and her vaunted vocal prowess was nowhere to be heard.
SYNERGY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a funny conversation to question a cover of a cover of a cover (of a cover). They're all beautiful, but are any less righteous?
jules101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYNERGY wrote:
I think it's a funny conversation to question a cover of a cover of a cover (of a cover). They're all beautiful, but are any less righteous?

it's a valid conversation because it clearly sounds sooo much like charlotte's version! lol

and not sure what you mean by 'are any less righteous?'

interesting! Smile
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covers usually feature additional arrangements by the covering artist, and extensive interpretation in some cases. Char's cover of Wild Horses is pretty unique and you can credit this version of the song to her. It might even have been fine if Susan Boyle's little imitation act featured some modicum of originality, but it does not.
jules101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Plagiarism deserves no less. I refuse to be objective about the quality of a knockoff. But because I did listen to the whole thing, I can honestly say her performance was nowhere close to Char's. The whole thing felt emotionless and her vaunted vocal prowess was nowhere to be heard.

yup. i could not believe how...obvious it was. lol maybe susan is not to blame. but whoever decided to do charlotte's version (because the more i hear it the more i think that) to a "t" did not do his/her client any justice. bad choice.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst part about all this is people going, "zomg her cover is amazing, really makes me look at wild horses in a different way! way to go subo!!1!"
jules101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
The worst part about all this is people going, "zomg her cover is amazing, really makes me look at wild horses in a different way! way to go subo!!1!"

yah. that part is kinda annoying. lol

so i told 2 co-workers who had no idea about any of this. one actually stumbled upon susan boyle last nite on AGT and asked if i watched. i said no...and proceeded to tell her why. then i let her listen to charlotte's version of 'wild horses.' even a non-char fan can hear how much THE SAME it is.

and i told another coworker about the whole thing...she said she would listen. she called me this morning and said 'that susan boyle totally ripped off charlotte martin's version.' again. not a fan or anything. just a person with ears.

Cool
Jessie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rip off. The piano is identical in most places.

I get the feeling Susan wasn't aware though, someone else sure is no doubt.
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg. they TOTALLY ripped off charlotte's piano arrangement of that song. i know it's probably not susan boyle's fault, but you know some idiot producer of america's got talent or something youtube'd char's version of that song and ripped off the arrangement. that is disgusting.
Peter Newturkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Charlotte BETTER have been paid royalties for that, or they at least should have asked her before they took it.
AntiSaint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Charlotte wouldn't get any royalties for Wild Horses -- the person who authors a song is the one who gets royalties, ie "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton. Whitney's version is more well known, but Dolly is the one collecting the checks for it.

I do agree that Char should at least be credited in part for the arrangment, but I'm not sure that the producers are really obligated to, because it's a cover to begin with.
mikegray

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Newturkey wrote:
and Charlotte BETTER have been paid royalties for that, or they at least should have asked her before they took it.

I don't really get this argument, since both Char and Su-Bo (yes, our tabloid media really do call her that) are doing a very similar arrangement to the Sundays cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lEd5bIbbQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Charlotte Martin General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: