Charlotte Martin Forum Index Charlotte Martin
Charlotte Martin Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bat for Lashes....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Other Artists and General Off-topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicLover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Chi wrote:
just bought the first cd 2 days ago...love it. her voice completely blends as another instrument, but then completely stands out at other times. she's like a calmer bjork.

really loving the new songs posted on the myspace page. looking forward to the new cd. i just wish there was a chicago stop on the tour. Sad

The Wizard and Tahiti are very calming.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Chi wrote:
just bought the first cd 2 days ago...love it. her voice completely blends as another instrument, but then completely stands out at other times. she's like a calmer bjork.

really loving the new songs posted on the myspace page. looking forward to the new cd. i just wish there was a chicago stop on the tour. Sad

Also wish they had not decided to do only a west coast coast tour! Sucks. But...maybe later they will be back here in the midwest!
urielzet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else other than me know that the new album has already leaked?

...More to the point, anyone else other than me already heard it?
siren

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it and I love it. It'll be on my top ten list of the year for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikegray
Street/E-team Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urielzet wrote:
Anyone else other than me know that the new album has already leaked?

...More to the point, anyone else other than me already heard it?

Yep, it leaked back on the 10th of Feb! A shame if it loses her any sales as it's a fantastic record. Booked to see her a couple of times next month. If anyone remembers a band called Ash, Charlotte Hatherley is now in her band!
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Bat For Lashes Reply with quote

I think I read you can listen to the entire album right now on MySpace?
jules101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love bat for lashes....will be seeing her/them 5/2. Very Happy
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules101 wrote:

Lucky you, Jules! Both of the New York shows are sold out! Have a blast! Very Happy
mikegray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules101 wrote:

Firstly, I love the records, but I'll risk getting a reputation for being negative. Saw her on Wednesday night with what is now the third incarnation of the band I've seen - this was my 7th BfL show, and I've seen them in all kinds of venues ranging from a library to a music college to a very very muddy festival. This was the first time I'd come away disappointed.

This version of the band didn't do it for me in the way that the first incarnation did - I really miss everything being done live on stage, all the strange instruments and percussion - it's a much more conventional setup now they've got a live drummer and a computer running a sequencer on stage.

Oddly, it's not the same band as the incarnation that toured supporting Radiohead last year - in fact, I'm pretty convinced that nobody from the original line up *or* the Radiohead era line up is still with her. If you listen to the two tracks that were released from the Nimes Radiohead support set (Glass and Daniel) it's quite a different sound. Her voice is still fantastic, and they've got a quite unusual, Goldfrapp-esque stage setup going on.

Having said that, it was their first full length show together and there were technical problems. But that didn't excuse a very short set (barely an hour - shorter than some of the first album tour's sets as they included Moon And Moon and her cover of I'm On Fire) and some odd omissions - both The Wizard and Priscilla were singles in the UK but she played neither - Priscilla in particular is a very surprisingly omission.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - going to see another show on Saturday. Maybe it was just first night nerves.
MusicLover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegray wrote:
jules101 wrote:

Firstly, I love the records, but I'll risk getting a reputation for being negative. Saw her on Wednesday night with what is now the third incarnation of the band I've seen - this was my 7th BfL show, and I've seen them in all kinds of venues ranging from a library to a music college to a very very muddy festival. This was the first time I'd come away disappointed.

This version of the band didn't do it for me in the way that the first incarnation did - I really miss everything being done live on stage, all the strange instruments and percussion - it's a much more conventional setup now they've got a live drummer and a computer running a sequencer on stage.

Oddly, it's not the same band as the incarnation that toured supporting Radiohead last year - in fact, I'm pretty convinced that nobody from the original line up *or* the Radiohead era line up is still with her. If you listen to the two tracks that were released from the Nimes Radiohead support set (Glass and Daniel) it's quite a different sound. Her voice is still fantastic, and they've got a quite unusual, Goldfrapp-esque stage setup going on.

Having said that, it was their first full length show together and there were technical problems. But that didn't excuse a very short set (barely an hour - shorter than some of the first album tour's sets as they included Moon And Moon and her cover of I'm On Fire) and some odd omissions - both The Wizard and Priscilla were singles in the UK but she played neither - Priscilla in particular is a very surprisingly omission.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - going to see another show on Saturday. Maybe it was just first night nerves.

What was the set list?
mikegray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicLover wrote:

What was the set list?

Can't remember, but the tracks I remember them playing are:

Glass
Daniel
Horse And I
Sarah
What's A Girl To Do
Travelling Woman
Pearl's Dream
Sleep Alone
Moon And Moon

I think there were a couple of others.
MusicLover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon and Moon is nice!
leirali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else having trouble finding the new album in stores? I've looked at Best Buy (their website only lists the vinyl), Target, and Borders. I ended up ordering from Amazon, but I'm a little bummed that I couldn't find it on release day. I bought "Fur and Gold" at Best Buy, so I figured I could get their new one in a brick and mortar store. Oh well . . .

mikegray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new record has done well over here - straight in at #5 in the album charts, which I imagine is better than expected!
Anticubital

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to drive to the city today for a dental appointment...stopped at Best Buy and they had put out 10 in the display...all were already sold! I was really surprised about that..had no idea Bat For Lashes might be popular here in Iowa. Cool
MusicLover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticubital wrote:
Had to drive to the city today for a dental appointment...stopped at Best Buy and they had put out 10 in the display...all were already sold! I was really surprised about that..had no idea Bat For Lashes might be popular here in Iowa. Cool

That's a good sign if she's selling well in Iowa. Imagine how well she's doing in cosmopolitan areas! Anyways I like the new album. I already had heard "Moon and Moon" for over a year now so I knew that was excellent. I only wish she'd kept her band.
leirali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticubital wrote:
stopped at Best Buy and they had put out 10 in the display...all were already sold!

Lucky/No Fair! My local Best Buy doesn't even carry it.

Still waiting for my Amazon order to ship. Sigh.
mikegray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicLover wrote:
Anticubital wrote:

That's a good sign if she's selling well in Iowa. Imagine how well she's doing in cosmopolitan areas! Anyways I like the new album. I already had heard "Moon and Moon" for over a year now so I knew that was excellent. I only wish she'd kept her band.

Radio is starting to play Moon And Moon over here, looks like being the next single.
BillEBee221962

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at my local BestBuy today and picked up a copy. Smile
MusicLover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno - aside from "Moon and Moon" and "Daniel" I'm not really connecting with any of the other songs. She's trying on this alter-ego "Pearl" in a few of the songs and it seems a tad forced.
BillEBee221962

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that they'll be on Letterman this friday, May 1st. Smile
MusicLover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing BfL on June 10th.
Anticubital

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicLover wrote:

And at such a great venue!!! You are so lucky! We had looked much about going to this show! Gosh..sure hope you take some pics and maybe video! Am so envious!

Cripes, last time we were at the venue you are going to was for Jess Klein and The Saw Doctors!

Would guess that seeing Bat For Lashes at a small venue will be amazing...hope you get to meet her! You could give her shit about her tatoo that you bitched about earlier on here on this board...lol!
MusicLover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticubital wrote:
MusicLover wrote:

And at such a great venue!!! You are so lucky! We had looked much about going to this show! Gosh..sure hope you take some pics and maybe video! Am so envious!

Cripes, last time we were at the venue you are going to was for Jess Klein and The Saw Doctors!

Would guess that seeing Bat For Lashes at a small venue will be amazing...hope you get to meet her! You could give her shit about her tatoo that you bitched about earlier on here on this board...lol!

2 problems:

* I don't have a camera
* I don't do "meet and greets".
Anticubital

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicLover wrote:
Anticubital wrote:
MusicLover wrote:

2 problems:

* I don't have a camera
* I don't do "meet and greets".

This is so funny! You could buy a cheap camera at your local gas station, take a pic of her tat after yakking with her, and then upload for us to enjoy! Please!! Laughing

Sure hope you have a great time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Charlotte Martin Forum Index -> Other Artists and General Off-topic Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: